If you are an earth science teacher (or a biology teacher who is sneaking in some fossil activities during your geologic time unit) here is a list of activities to get you started!
2. Digfield School has a series of fossil lesson plans that can be found here.
4. Want to make your own fossils out of plaster of paris? Check out directions here.
Also… just for fun… you could buy some insect lollipops and see if you have some brave students that want a tasty treat!
12. At africanfossils.org, students can explore virtual fossils.
13. Coprolites are fossilized dung. While that sounds pretty gross, they can be colorful and pretty! Scientists can observe coprolites and learn about what the organism ate and make inferences about their habitat. Learn how to make your own coprolite for students to explore here.
14. Here is a “fossilize me” card game from Science Friday.
If you are teaching a geology unit, be sure to check out my rocks blog post for more resources!